Title: Migration to Commonwealth: Improve governance debate and voting processes
Author: Meri Fernandez
Status: Stage II
The aim of this proposal is to migrate the GoodDAO Discourse forum to Commonwealth.
This requires a change in the GIP Procedure since the current platform, Discourse, was set by the [GIP 0] Introducing the GIP Procedure for the community to make proposals and hold debates.
Participating and running DAOs is currently highly difficult due to the fragmentation of tooling. GoodDAO uses an assortment of community governance tooling (Discourse, Snapshot, on-chain voting) in addition to the base stack of operational tooling like Discord, Telegram, etc.
Fragmented tooling causes fatigue for community members from having to track and sign up on different platforms. Commonwealth can solve part of this problem.
Commonwealth consolidates multiple community tools into one place by offering a fully crypto-native forum and voting interfaces (polls, Snapshot and on-chain governance) all in one platform. Adopting Commonwealth as the governance forum for the GoodDAO will facilitate the governance discussion, engagement and transparency.
Furthermore, it provides a UI interface solution for on-chain voting. That’s something that the GoodDAO is currently missing, and will be needed in the near future to pass key proposals that aim to make big changes on the GoodDollar protocol. As for the moment, the only way to vote on-chain is directly from the smart contracts, which is something that is not easy to do to for the average user.
Motivation for this change
- Hosting all community discussions, snapshot votes and on-chain governance on one platform to improve access to information and reduce tooling friction.
- Provide a UI interface solution for on-chain voting, something that the GoodDAO is missing right now and it’s going to need in the near future.
Migrating to Commonwealth
- Download a back data dump from the GoodDAO Discourse Forum
- Commonwealth imports the GoodDAO data forum to Commonwealth. This maintains all content, profiles and past activity.
- Commonwealth integrates GoodDAO Governance V2 contracts and GoodDAO Snapshot
- The community owns and runs the forum
- Link your wallet via Metamask or Wallet Connect
- Join the GoodDAO Commonwealth forum
- Link the same email you used for Discourse to claim your old account
- Begin discussion
More about Commonwealth
Commonwealth is an all-in one governance platform for crypto communities. As a summary is a platform for communities to discuss and vote. It combines the core functionality of Discourse with token-gating and governance interfaces (on-chain voting, off-chain voting and polls)
More information: Why Commonwealth?