[GIP-18] Development Request: Enable G$ Sending via Email

Title: Development Request: Enable G$ Sending via Email
Author: Glenn Palomino
Tracking: Proclamation
Created: October 28, 2023

Proclamation Text

To Good Labs:

The GoodDAO community, representing GoodDollar users, respectfully addresses Good
Labs, the sole development entity associated with GoodDAO, with a request of great
importance: the implementation of a feature that allows sending G$ directly to other wallets
using email addresses.
Our request is based on the firm intention to enhance the accessibility and efficiency of
GoodDollar for its users. The inclusion of this feature would mark a milestone in the
evolution of our platform and open up new possibilities for the everyday use of GoodDollar.

Motivation for this Request

The reasons behind this request are clear and significant:

Greater Accessibility

The addition of the proposed feature would eliminate barriers and make GoodDollar more
accessible to a diverse audience. Not all users are familiar with QR codes or payment links,
and this feature would provide a user-friendly alternative by allowing users to send G$ via
email addresses. This is especially relevant for people who prefer email as their primary
means of communication and transaction.

Additional Convenience

This feature would provide a convenient solution in situations where sharing a QR code or
payment link may be impractical. For instance, when the recipient is far away or does not
have immediate access to their wallet, simply providing an email address would be sufficient
to receive the funds. The simplicity of this process would increase the convenience and
versatility of GoodDollar as a means of transferring value.

Greater Compatibility

Integrating email as a fund-sending option would make GoodDollar more compatible with
other services and platforms that also use email addresses as a means of identification. This
would open the door to future integrations with financial services, connections to the billing
systems of businesses interested in operating with GoodDollar, and cryptocurrency platforms
that use email addresses as a standard identifier. This potential interoperability would

increase the utility of GoodDollar in the cryptocurrency ecosystem.

Global Reach

Email is a universally accepted and used means of communication worldwide. By allowing
users to send funds via email addresses, GoodDollar becomes truly global and eliminates
the linguistic and geographical barriers that sometimes hinder international transactions.
This means that GoodDollar can reach users in different countries and different wallets,
fostering a more inclusive and extensive ecosystem.

Enhanced Efficiency

Efficiency is a fundamental part of this request. Allowing G$ to be sent via email addresses
enables users to transact more quickly and easily. The proposed feature saves time and
resources by eliminating the need to share QR codes or payment links, simplifying the
fund-sending process and reducing friction in transactions.
However, it is crucial to properly address security and privacy aspects when implementing
this feature. Additional authentication and verification measures must be established to
ensure that funds are sent to the correct email address and that the wallet owner is the
legitimate recipient.
In summary, this request represents a significant advancement in improving the accessibility
and efficiency of GoodDollar, and we are confident that it will benefit both the community and
the mission of providing a global basic income effectively.
Disclaimer, I recognize this is a governance proposal is actually just a
signaling request to the GoodDAO community for feeding back GoodDollar Foundation
about the operations and assets management under the Foundation accountability.
Although the Foundation will act in

6 Likes

I think it is a very good proposal since email is something more familiar to people. Good option.

It seems to me the best proposal they have made; In addition, these payment links require about 4 steps to be able to send the good dollars, they are not very friendly to people who have little knowledge, they also present many problems when the person wants to collect it and it is not very secure since it does not reach the wallet directly. , it is preferable that it be sent by email.

1 Like

I’ve been analyzing the idea of this being a DeFi project, as the email thing didn’t seem safe to me, but actually, that wouldn’t affect the meaning of the project, instead, it will help us grow without losing its essence. The truth is that I support the idea and I will give it my vote in favor. Although this should be directly implemented by development and not by the DAO, I think we are in a bad place with the technological team. As another comment remarks, this email should have been implemented a long time ago for the convenience of users who are not banked and much less familiar with this type of technology.

I don’t understand why they didn’t do it from the beginning. If we are a basic income project, we should consider the convenience for all users. Those QR codes are not even used in my bank. For example, I use mobile payment, which is the most practical. I just need my cellphone number. I love the idea of email.

This is a great proposal!

The mission of this project is to be reachable for all the people around the world, no matter the politics, social, financial or educational segmentations. I think this would be a very justified step towards this end since we’d be amplifying the action radius for those how aren’t familiarized with a little more profound web3 and blockchain tools and implementations.

Sounds great! I agree :100:

1 Like

I’d like more clarification on this.
This doesn’t seem like a Protocol level thing.
How is this different than sharing the payment link via email?

It is very different:

1. If you send Good Dollars through a payment link, who guarantees that the link is not a virus or an attempt to steal your Good Dollars? They don’t go directly to your wallet; you have to execute the link, and that is a critical security level.
  2. If you have a business and your equipment gets damaged, how do you execute the payment link? And many other things to consider. However, if we send using the email address as the destination for the wallet, it would arrive directly, avoiding fraud, and you could easily remember your address for receiving. Also, if you are a business and your cellphone is damaged, you can verify on the customer’s screen when they make the payment, providing you with the security of witnessing the process.

Using my wallet address would be the most normal thing, but since we will be a huge project and for the masses, remembering it can be chaotic for many.

If you are considering sending transfers via email, you must take into account that the email address entered in the wallet’s sending panel must be in the Good Dollar database. This means that it must be an email address that was used during the registration process. If the email address does not exist in the database, it would be logical to display an error message indicating that the email is not valid. On the other hand, if the email is valid, it can be highlighted by changing its color when entered for sending, accompanied by a confirmation message stating the amount of Good Dollar that will be sent to the email address XXX.

You mean you want every wallet address to be associated with an email?
So when I type an email address behind the scenes it is converted to a wallet address and then the g$s are sent to that address?

“You couldn’t have said it any better, wow! Exactly, the email serves as my wallet address. You could also add the notification service to both the sender’s and recipient’s emails, informing them: ‘You have received this many Good Dollars’ and ‘You have sent this many Good Dollars’. This is an added security feature.”

If you want to implement it, I suggest you either apply for a grant or reformulate this proposal as a request for funds to develop it.
The goodlabs team doesn’t have the capacity to build it.

Unfortunately, only you can do it. If I could do it, believe me I would have done it with my own funds, but it is a matter of internal development.