[GIP 20] Disable GDX Token when buying G$s

Title: Disable GDX Token when buying G$s

Author: Hadar Rottenberg

Track: Protocol

Created: November 1, 2023

TLDR:

GIP 20: Current State and Problems

In the GoodDollar Protocol, G$ is a token issued from the GoodReserve and distributed as daily basic income to registered members. When G$ is sold back to the Reserve, it is subject to a 3% exit contribution.

GoodDollar Protocol V2 launched with GDX, an ERC-20 token that is minted 1:1 to the buyer for every G$ bought directly from the GoodDollar Reserve. The original idea behind the GDX token was to incentivize investors to buy G$s from the Reserve to support the UBI system, while not subjecting supporters to the exit contribution.

However, we have not seen the market react accordingly in the 2 years since the GoodDollar V2 Protocol upgrade, when GDX was introduced. Additionally, in the recent efforts to get G$ listed and accepted as a gas token on Celo, some concerns were raised regarding price manipulation of G$ from the Reserve primary market.

To address these concerns, we propose the following change:

Proposed Change: Stop Minting GDX and Subject All Newly Purchased G$s to the 3% Exit Contribution

Under this change, all G$ sold to the Reserve will be subject to a 3% fee. However, existing GDX tokens in circulation can still be used to get the contribution exemption. For these GDX holders, G$ can be sold back to the GoodReserve without being subject to a 3% fee.

If approved, after ratification no more GDX will be minted when a wallet buys G$ from the Reserve.

GDX Token Address : 0xa150a825d425B36329D8294eeF8bD0fE68f8F6E0

2 Likes

Helo Sir!
Pardon me but I joined the community a couple of days back.
I have served as Senior Systems Engineer for UNHCR Pakistan from Nov 2011 - Jul 2021. Currently I’m trying to understand and study the course of action of good & core purpose’s fulfillment of G$ economy. I’ll surely contribute and vote once I get things clear.
Please don’t hesitate if there is anything I can help/support with.
Thank You.
Regards

3 Likes